These are the common symptoms a child suffers when he or she should be
considered to be evaluated for ADD or ADHD
- Distractibility & difficulty with concentration and focus
- Short term memory lapses
- Tardiness, impulsiveness
- Problem in organizing the ideas and belonging
- Weak planning and execution – symptoms to look for in adults.
Common causes to be linked with this disorder :
- It is a genetic disorder
- Tobacco smoking during pregnancy
- Lead exposure
- Head injury
Common triggers : The following when consumed often increases the
intensity of the symptoms.
- Artificial colouring - flavouring agents and synthetic preservatives
DSM-IV criteria for ADHD
We make a diagnosis of ADD when 6 or more symptoms of INATTENTIVENESS
is observed for 6 months disturbing development
- Poor attention to details or careless mistakes involving school and
- Even while playing this is evident
- Does not pay attention to listen when spoken to directly
- Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork,
chores or duties in the workplace
- Poor in organising activities
- Avoids, dislikes or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental
effort for a long period of time example: schoolwork or homework
- Losses toys, school assignments, pencils, books etc
- Is easily distracted
- Forgetful in daily activities
When 6 or more of the following symptoms of HYPERACTIVITY have been present
for at least 6 months affecting development.
- Fidgets with hands, feet or squirms in seat
- Gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected
- Running about or climbing on wrong places
- Plays very noisily
- So high on activity as if "Burning candles from both ends"
- Loquacity-talking too much
- Starts answering before questions have been finished
- Can not wait for his turn
- Intrudes in others activity
ADHD, COMBINED Type : When both criteria 1A and 1B are met for
the past 6 months
ADHD Predominantly INATTENTIVE Type : When criterion 1A is met
but criterion 1B is not met for the past 6 months
ADHD, Predominantly HYPERACTIVE IMPULSIVE Type : Where Criterion
1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past 6 months.
Role of Homeopathy
- Homeopathy can play a complimentary role in treating this disorder.
- There are some Homeopathic remedies which can attend to the constitution
of the child and there are remedies which can treat individual symptoms.
- Along with various therapies, giving Homeopathy to the child will definitely
be useful, since attending to the constitution will bring about major
- These kids tend to have problems due to various levels of immune deficiencies,
resulting in recurrent infections of respiratory system. Example: frequent
cough & cold, glue ear etc. We can significantly improve the resistance
by employing medicines like Tub Bo, C Nosode etc.
- Often kids with ADHD/ ADD have issues with bowel flora resulting in
either constipation or diarrhoea. Homeopathy along with probiotics can
significantly improve bowel health.
- The other advantage of Homeopathic treatment is your child receives
medicines which are completely safe as it does not have any toxic effect
on body or on mind.
To know more about how homeopathy can help you call
or email for an appointment.